Ballyland Sound Memory is a fun sound-matching audio game, specifically designed for children who are blind or visually impaired. It challenges listening and memory skills, and is engaging and fun for all, so can be enjoyed together with siblings, friends, and parents!
While busy navigating the touch screen to locate, memorize and pair the matching sounds, children will build a basic understanding of how a digital grid is built up from rows and columns.
The game requires the use of a small number of basic VoiceOver finger gestures: Finger drag, single finger double tap, and single finger flick left/right and up/down. If necessary, children who are blind can develop these foundation gesture skills with the acclaimed ‘Ballyland Magic’ iPad game app, from the same developers.
Play Ballyland Sound Memory’s ‘Black Curtain’ Challenge!
Read the short instructions for the Black Curtain Challenge here
Wheelie is the ‘face’ of Ballyland Sound Memory, and in Flick Mode he follows every flick! Have Wheelie printed as 3D learning tool, to enable the child to tactually explore Wheelie’s features, including his turning wheels. Download the free 3D print file here (quality 3D printer required).
Ballyland Sound Memory Features
- Audio game
- Built-in speech
- VoiceOver accessible before start of game, and accessible menus
- Digital game grid (spoken rows and columns)
- Three game modes (Drag, Flick, and “Open Sounds & Flick”)
- Six sound sets, including the popular Ballylanders
- “Black Curtain” option to create level playing field for all
- Fun, safe and supportive learning environment
- Reintroducing popular Ballyland characters and sounds
- Designed with feedback from adults and children with vision impairment, parents and teachers
- Use at home and school
- Orientation and spatial awareness on a touch tablet
- Listening, locating, memory and matching skills
- Conceptual understanding of a digital grid
- VoiceOver finger gestures/ fine motor skills
- Experiential learning of VoiceOver accessibility by sighted players
We would like to thank the children, parents, teachers, and consultants who have tested this app all through the development stages and have this way helped Sonokids to make it better and better!