No VoiceOver skills required
Gestures: Touch, swipe, ‘touch and hold’, finger drag.
Ballyland Stay Still, Squeaky! will soon be released.
This iPad app is fun for all, while being specifically designed for young children who are blind or visually impaired. The interactive story teaches basic iPad skills through cause and effect, while the Bonus Game builds spatial awareness on the screen.
FIRST: Enjoy the adventure of Squeaky, the bouncy ball from Ballyland, who tries really hard to stay clean for a visit to his grandmother. Two simple, ‘informal’ gestures, touch and swipe, enable interaction with the story, resulting in Squeaky getting dirtier and dirtier... This is a fun, audio based interactive story, with great sound effects, and bright, simple images and animations.
THEN (optional): Play the Bonus Game, directing Squeaky on five routes to collect now familiar types of dirt in a specific order. This is a great way to playfully develop finger drag skills and spatial awareness on the screen. Uses ‘touch and hold’.
Download free 3D file to make a 3D tool of Squeaky so that your child can tactually explore his features
Download free Squeaky coloring page file. To make it into a raised line drawing, print it with a Piaf, using swell paper. This will enable children to feel what Squeaky looks like.
Tip for parents or educators:
In the game, it is recommended that you supervise the finger drag, or turn on Guided Access in the accessibility settings (or use an iPad case that covers the inactive border of the screen).
- Finalist in the ‘Most Accessible Children’s App’ category of the 2015 ‘Apps for All Challenge’ awards, Australian Communications Consumer Action Network.
- Perfect for use in an Inclusive Early Learning environment
- To move the story along, the child only needs to use very simple, ‘informal’ gestures: touch and swipe
- Safe gesture support for independent use by young children who are blind or have low vision
- Suitable for blind children as young as three years old
- No reading skills required
- Does not require the use of VoiceOver or any experience with touch screen interaction
- Each page has its own soundscape
- Simple and colorful line images with clear contrast
- No time limit to respond
- Theme can be easily tied in with real life activities and curriculum