Some VoiceOver skills required
Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
Gestures: Finger drag, flick left/right with one finger, flick down/up with one finger, double tap, flick left with three fingers, 'touch and hold'.
Get started on your programming journey today!
With Ballyland Code 1: Say Hello, children who are blind or have low vision can learn basic coding concepts and skills that will be applicable to any programming language.
Get introduced by way of the Tutorial game ‘Play with Coding’. Then take on your first Coding Challenge with simple coding commands. Make Wheelie, the little car from Ballyland, move around a digital game grid, on a mission to say Hello to Tinkleball. Audio description and great audio effects are at the core of this innovative app, creating unique accessibility for learners with visual impairment, including adults who are keen to find out what coding is about. This is the first in a series of Ballyland Audio Based Coding apps.
Tip: prepare iPad/gesture skills with Ballyland Stay Still, Squeaky (game with finger drag), Ballyland Magic (finger gestures including double tap), and Ballyland Sound Memory (navigating a digital grid).
Tip 2: It is strongly recommended to use the 3D printed Ballyland tactile grid and miniature Ballyland characters and 'obstacles' that have been specifically designed to support learning with the coding apps. Print in 3D yourself, or ask your school or organisation. You can purchase the package of 3D files from here.
- Computational thinking, basic coding concepts and skills, such as breaking problem down in steps, sequencing, patterning, using basic coding commands;
- Listening, Locating, ‘Mental Mapping’;
- Orientation, spatial awareness and navigating a digital game grid
- Experiential learning of VoiceOver accessibility by sighted players
- Beginners’ level, no coding experience required;
- Suited for novice users of VoiceOver;
- Audio Based Coding™: built-in speech, spoken coding panel, audio description, meaningful sound effects, audio and visual on-screen coding output;
- Use with Ballyland 3D printable tactile grid, characters and accessories (specifically designed for the Coding apps);
- VoiceOver accessible at start page, accessible menus in the game, built-in speech
- “Black Curtain” option to create level playing field for all;
- Designed with feedback from children with visual impairment, parents and teachers;